The record breaking news follows provisional statistics from the Civil Aviation Authority that show Belfast City Airport saw the biggest passenger increase of any major UK airport handling 256,708 passengers in March - a 22.7% increase on the same month in 2009.
Whilst many airports have witnessed a 10% decline in passenger numbers over the last year, management believe that the continuing private investment in facilities at the airport is having a positive impact on passenger numbers.
Thanking passengers for their continued custom Katy Best, Business Development Director at Belfast City Airport said:
“These remarkable figures can be attributed to a close working relationship with our partner airlines/companies and our continuing research and investment aimed at enhancing customer service.
“We listen to what our customers want and respond accordingly,” said Katy Best.
In the last 12 months the airport has:
• Opened a new £6million departures terminal providing 60% additional retail space
• Invested £750,000 in new car parking and front of house facilities
• Significantly reduced queuing at security with an investment in the latest technology to speed the journey through security
• Opened a fast track lane through security for business customers
• Recent additions to the route portfolio have included easyJet services to London Luton and flybe to Humberside
Katy Best continued:
“We’d like to thank all our passengers for their support in making Belfast City Airport the incredible success it is and we will continue to listening and responding to their needs.”